As a provisionally registered teacher

Provisional registration is granted for two years, in which time you will need to demonstrate you meet the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) at the Proficient Teacher level.

Making a new application for provisional registration

To remain registered as a teacher in Victoria, before the end of your second year of provisional registration, you should:

  • complete the process to move to (full) registration; or
  • submit a new application for provisional registration before the expiry date shown on your registration card.

If you are unable to gain regular employment at a school, you may not be in a position to demonstrate you have achieved the standards for (full) registration.

If this is the case, or you have other exceptional circumstances preventing you from meeting the requirements at the Proficient Teacher level, you may need to apply for a further period of provisional registration.

To make a new application for provisional registration, log in to your MyVIT account and complete the Application for Provisional Registration form.

Information you have provided in your previous application for registration, such as evidence of qualifications, will be taken into account when you submit a new application.