Renewal of registration is a requirement for registered teachers and registered early childhood teachers. It is not a requirement for provisionally registered teachers, provisionally registered early childhood teachers or teachers holding permission to teach.
By 30 September every year, you renew your registration by completing an online application for renewal in your MyVIT portal.
To successfully renew your registration, you will need to:
- update your National Police History Check (if it is due to expire in the next renewal period)
- make declarations
- about your continuing suitability to be a teacher
- that you have practised for at least 20 days as a teacher / educational leader (or undertaken equivalent practice)
- that you have completed at least 20 hours of professional development activity that references the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (including activities that develop your capability to teach learners with a disability if you haven't already done this).
- pay the annual registration fee and any other required fees.
If you are unable to meet at least 20 days teaching in the past 12 months, you will be provided with the option to declare you have undertaken either:
- 40 days in the previous two years
- 60 days in the previous three years
- 80 days in the previous four years
- 100 days in the previous five years.
If you are not currently teaching, or cannot meet the professional practice requirements to renew your registration, you can apply to register with us as non-practising. Learn more about applying for non-practising registration here.
Registration renewal in two divisions
If you are registered you will only need to complete the renewal of registration process once. The responses you give to the questions asked will apply to both registrations.
Successfully renewing registration in one division will mean that your registration in the other division is also renewed.
If you are registered in one division and hold non-practising registration in the other division and successfully renew your registration, this will result in you becoming registered in both divisions.
Special needs requirements for renewal
You should undertake professional development (PD) activities that develop your capability to teach learners with a disability (special needs).
If you did not do so in 2016, you will need to declare this PD to successfully renew your registration in 2017.
Learn more about this Special Needs requirement to improve learning outcomes for learners with a disability.
Accessing and using your MyVIT account
Your MyVIT account will help you keep track of your application, complete your annual renewal and maintain your personal information. Learn about renewing your registration online through MyVIT.
Recency of practice
To renew your registration as a teacher, you need to maintain recency of practice by engaging in teaching, equivalent practice or educational leadership during the renewal period.
Find out about professional development activities, how to keep a record of your activities and providing teacher professional development.