Published 13 Sep 2023
Monitoring teacher registration
Under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006, employers must ensure an individual holds the correct form of registration for the setting they are teaching in.
|Setting||Registration type required|
|Kindergarten program||Early childhood teacher registration*|
|Combined kindergarten / early primary program||Dual registration (both early childhood teacher and teacher registration)*|
|School program (primary, secondary, special school)||Teacher registration or permission to teach (PTT)*|
|VET / RTO program delivered on school grounds||Teacher registration or permission to teach (PTT)*|
Schools that have an early childhood service attached to their program will have separate employer portals for each setting, and should list teachers only in the relevant portal.
Periodic registration checks
It is good practice to include periodic checks of the Employer portal to ensure teachers remain registered and are not approaching an expiry date.
This should occur at least once per term / quarter. It is particularly important at the start of the year to ensure that all graduate teachers and new staff are registered, and to ensure all staff have completed their annual registration tasks and continue to be registered with VIT.
These checks are also important in the middle of October to check for teachers who have not completed their annual registration requirements.
Checks for the last quarter of the year
Have all your teachers completed their annual registration tasks?
- teachers who have completed these tasks will have an ‘approval expiry’ date in 2024 and a ‘payment expiry’ date of 30 September 2024
- provisionally registered teachers and holders of PTT whose registration expires before 31 December 2023 will not be able to complete annual registration tasks until they have made a new application and it has been approved by VIT.
Teachers without updated 'approval expiry' and 'payment expiry' dates may have completed their annual registration tasks, but are experiencing delays due to ongoing assessments by VIT. Check the ‘pending application’ table below the teacher list to confirm their application status.
If you have checked the register and/or your Employer portal and are still not sure of your teacher's registration status, please call the principal hotline (1300 650 375) or early childhood hotline (1300 977 263).
- update your teacher list by adding new teachers and removing teachers who have left
- check for upcoming provisional expiry dates - provisionally registered teachers can apply for a further grant of provisional registration within 3 months of their registration expiry if they have not completed the Inquiry process - please note: provisionally registered teachers also have a 3 month grace period, which means if they appear on the register and in the Employer portal, they are registered and able to teach, even if their expiry date is in the past
- check the expiry date and permitted subjects for PTT holders - PTT holders can only teach at the school and in the subjects listed in the teacher list (scroll to the right to see this information) in the Employer portal - PTT holders do not have a grace period and their PTT grant will expire on the day after their approval expiry date unless another application is approved
- check if your teachers have returning conditions - they may request a letter or statement of service as evidence of their days of teaching to meet the returning requirements
- check if your teachers have conditions - they may supply you with a letter outlining these conditions.