22 OCTOBER 2015
As part of the government Special Needs Plan teachers will be required to build their capacity to teach learners with disability.
You’ll demonstrate this by focusing on those descriptors in the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) that refer to meeting the needs of all learners.
Who does this affect?
Teachers who provide their professional development to us as part of their registration process. Provisionally registered teachers and early childhood teachers, registered teachers and early childhood teachers and teachers returning to teaching from non-practising registration.
What do I do?
- If you are provisionally registered, you’ll demonstrate how you have met these descriptors as part of the process of moving to (full) teacher registration or early childhood teacher registration.
- If you are a registered teacher or early childhood teacher, you’ll demonstrate how you have met these descriptors as part of your annual registration renewal.
- If you are returning to teaching from non-practising registration, you'll demonstrate how you have met these descriptors when you provide your evidence of professional development upon the completion of returning to teaching.
What are the descriptors in the APST that I need to demonstrate?
You'll be required to provide evidence of the below descriptors as part of the 20 hours of professional development you undertake:
- Develop teaching activities that incorporate differentiated strategies to meet the specific learning needs of learners across the full range of abilities (Descriptor 1.5).
- Design and implement teaching activities that support the learning and participation of learners with disability and address relevant policy and legislative requirements (Descriptor 1.6).
- Establish and implement inclusive and positive interactions to engage and support all learners in classroom activities (Descriptor 4.1).
When does this happen?
From 2016 teachers will start to address this requirement. Timelines will account for the time teachers need to source and engage with relevant professional development and activities.
- Read more about the Special Needs Plan
- The Minister for Education's Media release
- View the Building teacher capability for inclusive education fact sheet (PDF, 75.75 KB).