Returning from non-practising registration process


When you wish to return to teaching from non-practising registration, you must notify us prior to undertaking the duties of a teacher in a school or early childhood setting.

You can only apply for non-practising registration at renewal time, however you can return from non-practising registration at any time.

To return to teaching from non-practising registration, you will need submit the Returning to teaching from non-practising registration form to VIT. 

You will be notified once the form is approved, and your name will appear on the public register

NOTE: Once your returning from non-practising registration is approved, you have 12 months to complete 

Returning from non-practising registration means that your knowledge and practice will not be current, so we will send you a new registration card with conditions.

Why choose non-practising registration?

If you’re thinking of taking a leave from teaching, or you don’t think you can meet the requirements for registration renewal by 30 September, watch this video. 

Returning to Teach: What you need to know

If you’re thinking about choosing non-practising registration, you’ll need to know about what happens when you want to return to teaching.