Check that your registration is in order

28 OCTOBER 2019

What happens if I don’t complete my annual registration tasks?

If you do not login to your MyVIT account and complete all annual registration tasks (including payment) by 31 December 2019, your name will be removed from the register (either by expiry or suspension).

If this occurs, you will not be able to undertake the duties of a teacher in a Victorian school, or an early childhood teacher in an early childhood setting. It is an offence to teach in a Victorian school or early childhood service without registration. Some exceptions may apply for early childhood teaching.

What does it mean to have my registration suspended?

You will be suspended if you fail to make payment by 31 December 2019, your registration expiry date is later than 31 December 2019 and you hold one of the following registrations:

  • Provisional registration
  • Permission to Teach registration
  • (Full) registration (granted after 1 October 2018)

If you are suspended, you can apply to have the suspension revoked if you complete the outstanding task(s) and provide a satisfactory written explanation for your failure to complete these by the due date.

What does it mean if my registration expires?

If you hold (full) registration, have an expiry date before 31 December 2019 and fail to complete your annual registration tasks, your registration will expire and you will be removed from the register.

If your name is removed from the register and you wish to teach again, you will need to submit a new application for registration and fulfil all current registration requirements (including the completion of a minimum of four years of tertiary education).

What does it mean if my Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) is incomplete?

Your NCCHC can take up to 20 days to be processed after you lodge any required documents with VIT and make payment.

If you declared a change of name, or a previously undeclared name in your NCCHC, you will be sent a ‘Name Confirmation Form’ by email. This needs to be completed before VIT can submit your NCCHC. Please follow the instructions on this email and provide the required form and supporting evidence documents as soon as possible.

If you have never had a change of name and believe the email was sent in error, please contact us to avoid being removed from the register.

What if I don’t want to renew my registration?

If you no longer wish to be a registered teacher / early childhood teacher, please complete the notification of registration cessation form. This will ensure you cease recieving communications from VIT.

Where can I find more information?

The answers to most enquiries relating to annual registration can be found in our frequently asked questions.