Skip to main content

What are your options at renewal?

If you are wondering whether your current work in education still fits with your teaching registration category or are thinking about taking a break from the teaching profession, here are a few options that you may consider.

To renew your registration as a teacher, you need to maintain recency of practice by engaging in teaching, equivalent practice or educational leadership during the renewal period.

Recency of practice means

  • you have taught for a minimum of 20 days per year (which can be averaged as 100 days over five years); and
  • you have undertaken at least 20 hours of standards referenced professional development activities per year.

VIT recognises that the coronavirus pandemic (COVID 19) may impact some teachers’ ability to meet these requirements. We encourage all teachers to keep records of their teaching days and professional learning hours however, for those who are still unable to meet the requirements during 2020, this will not be an impediment to nor preclude you from registration renewal.

More information regarding adjustments to VIT processes during COVID 19 can be accessed here.

If you are wondering whether your current work in education still fits with your teaching registration category or are thinking about taking a break from the teaching profession, there are a few options that you may consider.

Equivalent practice

If you are a registered teacher who is teaching in a setting other than in early childhood service or a primary, secondary or special school, and you can demonstrate a clear relationship between your work and the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, you may be able to claim equivalent practice.

You can demonstrate an equivalence in your professional duties with that of an early childhood teacher or primary, secondary or special school teacher including

  • delivering accredited curriculum or a program consistent with an approved framework
  • assessing or making judgements about developmental levels of learners
  • modifying practice
  • providing feedback
  • reporting achievement to parents / carers
  • reviewing and reflecting on professional practice to improve learning.

When considering equivalence, applicants should consider the setting in which they are performing their duties. The situation of a non-school setting, such as a zoo or museum, would be appropriate as you are teaching a variety of learners within a classroom context.

Private tutoring of your own children would not be considered as equivalent practice, as the context and relationship with learners is not equivalent to that of a classroom teacher or early childhood teacher.

Educational leadership

Another category that may be available to you is in educational leadership. These applicants may be working in a school or early childhood setting undertaking leadership roles or working in a broader educational field, but linked to the teaching and learning in a school or early childhood setting.

Educational leadership may involve activities such as

  • developing resources and materials for use by teachers in schools or early childhood services
  • research into teaching and learning and the dissemination of that knowledge to teachers and / or other educational leaders
  • policy development to support and improve teaching and learning
  • working with teachers, either individually or collectively, to support and improve their professional knowledge and practice.

Non-practising registration

If you are (fully) or provisionally registered and are not currently teaching, or cannot meet the professional practice requirements to renew your registration, you can apply to register as non-practising

If you become non-practising, you cannot teach, as you will not be able to meet the requirements for currency of practice or professional learning. There are however, distinct advantages to moving to this category of registration rather than allowing it to lapse

  • you don’t have to worry about the 20 days of teaching or the 20 hours of professional learning
  • it keeps your options open for the future if you ever wish to return to teaching
  • you are exempt from the Working With Children Check if you participate in any work or activities involving children; and
  • if your original qualifications are less than 4 years old, you will be able to return to teaching upon request (if you let your registration lapse, you will need to meet the qualification requirements at the time you re-apply).

You will still need to pay your registration, make declarations regarding your suitability to teach and maintain your 5-yearly Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Checks. When you are ready to return, you will need to apply to return to teaching by applying to return to teach through your MyVIT account.

Watch this video on non practising registration.