Non-practising registration

If you are not currently teaching, or cannot meet the professional practice requirements to renew your registration, you can apply to register with us as non-practising. 

As a non-practising teacher, you won't be able to meet the professional practice requirements for renewal of registration and therefore cannot teach in any Victorian primary, secondary or special school, or be employed / engaged as a registered early childhood teacher in a Victorian education and care service or a Victorian children’s service.

To learn more about why you might wish to apply for non-practising, watch this video

Applying for non-practising

If you hold (full) registration as a teacher, you can apply to become non-practising.

When you complete the renewal of registration application through you MyVIT account, you must make declarations about your continuing suitability to teach and your professional practice.

If you cannot meet the requirement for days teaching / hours of professional development activities, you will be given the option to apply for non-practising registration. Your name will continue to appear on the public register. You will be required to maintain your Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) and can use your non-practising registration in lieu of a Working with Children Check

Your registration card

Once processed, your registration category will become non-practising at the expiry of your current registration on 30 September. You will receive a red registration card, and be shown as non-practising on the register of teachers.

Your red registration card indicates that you are NOT allowed to teach in a Victorian school or be employed / engaged as a registered early childhood teacher, and exempts you from the Victorian Working with Children Check.

You will need to renew your non-practising registration by 30 September every year, pay the annual fee and any other required fees.

Learn more about returning to teaching from non-practising.

Registration cessation

If you no longer wish to be registered, complete the online Notification of Registration Cessation form.