The VIT hosts seminars and other events designed to provide clarity on important processes, such as moving to full registration or becoming a teacher mentor. To register for an event or seminar, click on the relevant link in the calendar below and follow the instructions. Questions about our calendar of events can be directed to VIT via the contact form.
Mentors of Pre-Service Teachers Program
The Mentors of Pre-Service Teachers Program is a free professional learning program developed in partnership with Victorian initial teacher education (ITE) providers and is open to all registered school teachers working in government, Catholic and independent schools.
This full-day program focusses on the universal skills of mentoring as well as specific knowledge and approaches that support mentors and supervising teachers to be effective mentors of pre-service teachers.
The seminar will explore
- understanding mentoring
- mentoring a pre-service teacher
- understanding the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) at the graduate level
- relationship building and growth-focused conversations
- observations and feedback
- what to do when it isn’t working
The Mentors of Pre-Service Teachers Program will commence with a full day seminar.
- 9am – 4pm on Friday 24 November
- 600 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- lunch will be provided.
Register now. Please note, places are limited.
PRT Seminars - Moving to full registration
Each year VIT delivers PRT seminars that assist PRTs move from provisional to full registration.
The seminars cover
- requirements for gaining full VIT registration
- evidence-based processes using the Inquiry process
- professional obligations, including the Codes of Conduct and Ethics
- access to information and resources.
In 2023, VIT will host a range of seminars, including seminars dedicated to casual relief teachers (CRTs).
Important booking information
- You will need your 6 digit VIT registration number to book. Please note: a VIT registration number is not the same as a TO number.
- If your preferred seminar is at capacity, you will have the option to join the waitlist for that seminar. If you wish to book a different seminar, please cancel your registration from the waitlist and choose a new date. Due to high demand teachers can only book one PRT seminar, so you will need to cancel one booking before making a new booking.
The 2023 PRT seminars have now closed. Please check back later in the year for the 2024 seminar dates.
Effective Mentoring Program
The Effective Mentoring Program (EMP) is a free professional learning program developed and delivered in partnership with DE, and is open to fully registered teachers working in government, Catholic and independent schools and early childhood services.
This two-day program equips participants with mentoring skills to support beginning teachers and guide them through the provisional to full registration process.
A number of one-day refresher seminars will also be available for early childhood and school mentors who completed an EMP more than 3 years ago.
To be considered a VIT trained mentor, teachers must attend both days of the program within the same year.
The 2023 Effective Mentoring Program has now closed. Please check back later in the year for the 2024 dates.
In 2023, The Victorian Institution of Teaching (VIT) is hosting the Mentor Masterclass for mentors and educational leaders who are responsible for coordinating mentors, provisionally registered teachers (PRTs) and those who hold permission to teach (PTT).
The masterclass is tailored to those responsible for directing and supervising the induction, mentoring and application for full registration process for beginning, new and returning teachers.
These bespoke workshops will be delivered by the highly sought-after Glen Pearsall. Glen works as an educational consultant across Australia, specialising in high quality instructional practice, and the development of cultures based on sound pedagogy and education research.
It's expected that participants have completed the Effective Mentoring Program (EMP) or other approved VIT mentoring program within the last 3 years. The day will focus on supporting mentors to develop a culture of professional growth and professional identify, ensuring a strong and supportive induction experience for PRTs and beginning teachers in the workplace.
The March Mentor Masterclass has now closed for registrations. Check back at a later date for other Mentor Masterclass sessions.
Codes of Conduct and Ethics webinars
The VIT completed a review of the Victorian Teaching Profession's Code of Conduct (the Code) and re-launched the Code in 2021.
In 2023 VIT will continue to deliver webinars designed to support all registered teachers and educational leaders in understanding the key changes to the Code, and help reflect on their personal and professional conduct to ensure it is aligned with the expectations of the Code.
These webinars will explore
- key revisions to the Code
- online conduct and social media in the contemporary teaching context
- using the Victorian Teaching Profession’s Code of Conduct to guide professional conduct and practice
- maintaining professionalism in a digital environment
- maintaining professional boundaries, and
- where to find further resources.
The Code of Conduct and Ethics webinars have now closed. Please check back later in the year for the 2024 dates.
Supporting classroom practice workshop for PTT holders
A thorough induction into the profession is critical for beginner teachers to gain the skills and confidence necessary to deliver quality teaching. Effective mentoring and support ensures those new to teaching are able to understand their work environment and deliver best outcomes for their learners.
The Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) is delivering free one-day workshops for pre-service teachers who hold permission to teach (PTT) with a mentoring focus to support their classroom practice.
These bespoke seminars for pre-service teachers who hold PTT will be delivered by the highly sought-after Glen Pearsall. Glen works as an educational consultant across Australia, specialising in feedback and assessment, workload reduction for teachers and instructional practice.
Participants will have the opportunity to learn effective and easy-to-implement classroom management techniques and build their teaching practice repertoire through the discussion and modelling of effective instructional practices; and will be provided with a take home resource pack. VIT representatives will be in attendance and available to answer any questions about teacher registration.