Those who hold (full) registration have achieved the proficient teacher level of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) and have demonstrated their suitability to teach through professional practice and professional learning.
There are two types of (full) registration.
- Teachers with (full) registration can teach in any Victorian primary or secondary school or specialist education provider.
- Early childhood teachers with (full) registration can teach in any Victorian early childhood education services such as childcare centres, preschools and kindergartens.
Teachers with (full) registration can work full-time, part-time or as casual relief teachers (CRTs).
Registration requirements and how to apply
Teachers who wish to apply for (full) registration must be able to demonstrate they have
- completed an approved qualification – an ITE program for teachers, or an early childhood (EC) program for early childhood teachers – in Australia, New Zealand or an equivalent overseas program approved by VIT
- undertaken at least 80 days teaching experience in an Australian or New Zealand school or early childhood setting within the past five (5) years have met the APST at the proficient teacher level.
Immediate (full) registration via mutual recognition
If they have held (full) registration interstate or in New Zealand in the past five years and have completed 80 days of teaching in an Australian or New Zealand school or early childhood setting in that time, they may be eligible to obtain immediate (full) registration via mutual recognition.
Visit the How to register page to find out more.
All teachers, regardless of their registration category, are required to meet certain obligations in order to maintain their registration.
For teachers with (full) registration, these include
- completing the annual registration process by 30 September each year, which includes
- consenting to VIT running a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) every five (5) years
- maintaining their details with VIT, including confirming/updating their name, contact and employment details.
Visit the Maintain my registration page to find out more.
Last updated: 12 Jul 2021