Skip to main content
Registration Helper logo Registration Helper What registration do I need?

Those who hold full registration have achieved the proficient teacher level of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) and have demonstrated their suitability to teach through professional practice and professional learning.

There are two types of full registration.

  1. Teachers with full registration can teach in any Victorian primary or secondary school or specialist education provider.
  2. Early childhood teachers with full registration can teach in any Victorian early childhood education and care setting (e.g. preschool, long daycare or kindergarten).
Icon Important Info

Teachers are not allowed to work in settings that do not fall within the scope of their registration type unless they hold dual registration. Visit the FAQs page to find out more.

Teachers with full registration can work full-time, part-time or as casual relief teachers (CRTs).

Registration requirements and how to apply

Teachers who wish to apply for full registration must be able to demonstrate they have

  • completed an approved qualification – an ITE program for teachers, or an early childhood (EC) program for early childhood teachers – in Australia, New Zealand or an equivalent overseas program approved by VIT
  • undertaken at least 80 days teaching experience in an Australian or New Zealand school or early childhood setting within the past five (5) years, and
  • met the APST at the proficient teacher level.
Useful Resource

Check out the Registration Evidence Checklist for more information on what evidence to provide when applying for registration with VIT.

Visit the How to register page to find out more. You can also find out more about the registration timeline on the How long does it take to register page.


Visit the Moving to full registration page to find out more about how to move from provisional to full registration using VIT's Inquiry process.

Immediate full registration via mutual recognition

If they hold full registration interstate or in New Zealand, they may be eligible to obtain immediate full registration via mutual recognition.

Visit the How to register page to find out more.

Ongoing obligations

All teachers, regardless of their registration category, are required to meet certain obligations in order to maintain their registration.

For teachers with full registration, these include

Visit the Maintain my registration page to find out more.

Note: fully registered teachers who cease teaching for more than 5 years and wish to re-register as a teacher may only be eligible to apply for provisional registration.  

Last updated: 10 Feb 2023

Was this webpage helpful?
Why not?