Skip to main content
Registration Helper logo Registration Helper What registration do I need?

Provisional registration is for teachers who fall into one of four categories

  • graduate teachers who are about to or have already graduated from an initial teacher education (ITE) or early childhood (EC) program and are ready to commence teaching in Victoria. Intake of graduates occurs twice yearly (visit the Victorian graduate information page to find out more about this process)
  • early career teachers who have completed their studies interstate or overseas. They may have spent a limited amount of time in the classroom at an Australian or New Zealand school or early childhood setting, or have yet to teach
  • returning teachers who are experienced teachers, but had ceased teaching five or more years ago and now wish to return to teaching
  • experienced teachers returning from overseas who have taught overseas or those who have ceased their Victorian registration and practiced as a teacher internationally (outside of Australia and New Zealand) for the last five or more years.

There are two types of provisional registration.

  1. Provisionally registered teachers can teach in any Victorian primary or secondary school or specialist education provider.
  2. Provisionally registered ECTs can teach in any Victorian early childhood education service, such as childcare centres, preschools and kindergartens.
Icon Important Info

Teachers are not permitted to work in settings that do not fall within the scope of their registration type unless they hold dual registration. For example, a provisionally registered early childhood teacher cannot undertake the duties of a teacher in a school. Visit the FAQs page to find out more.

Provisionally registered teachers (PRTs) can work full-time, part-time or as casual relief teachers (CRTs). Visit the Casual relief teachers page to find out more about working as a CRT and the resources available.

Registration requirements and how to apply

Teachers who wish to apply for provisional registration must have completed an approved qualification – an ITE program for teachers or an EC program for early childhood teachers.

Useful Resource

Check out the Registration Evidence Checklist for more information on what evidence to provide when applying for registration with VIT.

Provisional registration is granted for a period of two (2) years. In this time, provisionally registered teachers (PRTs) are expected to demonstrate they


Once a PRT can prove they have met the APST at the proficient teacher level and have met their professional practice requirements, they can apply for full registration. Visit the Moving to full registration page to find out more about the process.

Visit the How to register page to find out more. Applicants can find out more about the registration timeline on the How long does it take to register page.

Additional grants of provisional registration

If a provisionally registered teacher is unable to apply for full registration at the end of their initial two (2) year grant, they may apply for a further grant of provisional registration. Visit the Additional grants of provisional registration page to find out more.

Ongoing obligations

All teachers, regardless of their registration category, are required to meet certain obligations in order to maintain their registration.

For PRTs, these include

Visit the Maintain my registration page to find out more.


The initial registration fee paid by PRTs is pro-rated and covers their registration from the commencement date of their provisional registration until the next 30 September annual registration deadline. The expiry date listed on their registration card will also reflect this date and not the date that their grant of provisional registration expires.

A PRT is expected to complete the annual registration tasks and pay the annual fee by 30 September each year, at which time a new registration card will be issued. Visit the Registration fees page find out more.

Last updated: 23 Mar 2023

Was this webpage helpful?
Why not?