Skip to main content
Registration Helper logo Registration Helper What registration do I need?

Teachers who hold either provisional or full registration can apply to become non-practising if they are not currently teaching.

Reasons for holding non-practising registration could include

Teachers with non-practising registration will be required to maintain their continued suitability and fitness to teach and will continue to be exempt from requiring a Working with Children (WWC) clearance (previously known as a Working With Children Check or WWCC).

However, they will not be permitted to teach or be employed or engaged as a registered teacher in any Victorian school or early childhood service.

Icon Important Info

Please note that it is an offence to teach in Victoria without registration.

If you are working as an educational leader in a non-school or early childhood setting, you are encouraged to apply for non-practising registration.

Visit the Recency of practice page to find out more.

Registration obligations and how to apply

If a teacher holds full or provisional registration, they can apply to become non-practising at any time and monitor the status of their application through their MyVIT account by navigating to the 'Manage registration' tile and selecting 'Apply for non-practising'. Their name will continue to appear on the Register of teachers.


Teachers who hold full or provisional registration can also apply for non-practisicing registration when they complete their annual registration tasks.

Non-practising teachers cannot teach in any Victorian primary, secondary or special school, or be employed/engaged as a registered early childhood teacher in a Victorian education and care service or a Victorian children’s service.

Teachers may continue to use their non-practising registration in lieu of a Working with Children (WWC) clearance (previously known as a Working with Children Check or WWCC).

Teachers who hold non-practising registration can return to teaching at any time by completing an application to return to teaching via their MyVIT account.

Visit the Returning to teaching from non-practising registration page to find out more.


Click here for some helpful videos, including information about why you may want non-practising registration and what happens if you retire from the profession.

Ceasing your registration

If a teacher does not wish to maintain their provisional or full registration, or apply for non-practising registration, they can request to cease their registration via their MyVIT account.

You can also find more about ceasing registration on the FAQs page.

Ongoing obligations

All teachers, regardless of their registration category, are required to meet certain obligations in order to maintain their registration.

For those with non-practising registration, these include

Visit the Maintain my registration page to find out more.

Last updated: 17 Feb 2022