Skip to main content
Registration Helper logo Registration Helper What registration do I need?

There are more than 141,000 registered teachers working across 6,300 schools, early childhood services and other education settings throughout Victoria.

Registered teachers are required to complete qualifications that meet national standards and undertake rigorous suitability assessments in order to obtain registration. The VIT ensures that regular professional learning and suitability assessment continues throughout a teacher’s career.

Visit the Who needs to register? page to find out more.

Registration categories

The type of registration a teacher requires depends on a number of factors, such as the education environment they work in, their qualifications, experience, proficiency in the Australian Professional Standards for Teaching (APST) and their suitability to teach.

Visit the Registration categories page to find out more.

Useful Resource

Need help finding out what registration category to apply for? Use our handy Registration Helper tool to find out in under one minute.

Registration requirements

Under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006, in order to become a registered as a teacher, a person must obtain a qualification that is appropriate for entry to teaching, or a qualification determined by VIT to be equivalent to an approved qualification.

In some cases, an applicant may also be required to undertake other testing.

All teachers, regardless of their registration category, are required to undertake a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) once every five years from the date they registered with VIT.

Depending on their residency history within the last ten years, an overseas criminal records check (CRC) may also be required.

Visit the Criminal history checks page to find out more.


Teachers who hold current registration with VIT are exempt from requiring a Working with Children (WCC) clearance (previously called a Working with Children Check or WWCC). Visit the Working with Children page to find out more.

How to register

The process of applying for is largely the same regardless of an applicant’s intended registration category, however the information required will be different depending on their circumstances.

Visit the How to register page to find out more.

In the case of those applying for permission to teach (PTT), the application must first be initiated by the applicant's employer.

Visit the Permission to teach page to find out more.

Last updated: 07 Dec 2022

Was this webpage helpful?
Why not?