Skip to main content

The VIT office will close at 12pm on Thursday 7 December and re-open at 9am on Friday 8 December.

Registration Helper logo Registration Helper What registration do I need?

Non-practising teachers must be approved by VIT to return to teaching from non-practising registration prior to undertaking the duties of a teacher in a Victorian school or early childhood setting.

Registration obligations and how to apply

An application to return to teaching can be lodged at any time via the teacher’s MyVIT account through the ‘Manage registration’ tile.

Returning requirements for provisionally registered teachers

Returning teachers who previously held provisional registration will be able to return to teaching as a provisionally registered teacher under a new grant of provisional registration.

It is expected that they will work toward meeting the requirements of full registration by undertaking VIT’s Inquiry process during this grant of provisional registration.

A provisionally registered teacher can re-apply for non-practising registration if they are not currently undertaking the duties of a teacher.

Returning requirements for fully registered teachers

Returning teachers who previously held full registration will be able to return to teaching as a fully registered teacher provided they meet certain conditions by the next annual registration due date (30 September). These include

*evidence of this professional learning must be submitted through the MyPD tool.

Visit the Recency of practice and Professional learning pages to find out more.


The returning practice requirements must be undertaken in a Victorian school or early childhood setting. Interstate and overseas practice is not accepted to meet returning requirements.

The VIT will assess the teacher’s evidence as part of their renewal of registration application. When all requirements have been met, they will be granted the same registration category held before applying for non-practising registration.

If a returning teacher is unable to meet the requirements within the timeframe given, they will not be able to return to non-practising registration. Rather, their registration will expire and they will be removed from the Register of teachers.

Icon Important Info

Please note it is an offence to teach in Victoria without registration.

Ongoing obligations

All teachers, regardless of their registration category, are required to meet certain obligations in order to maintain their registration.

For teachers who have returned from non-practising, these will align with the same requirements as others with provisional or full registration.

Visit the Maintain my registration page find out more.

Last updated: 01 Aug 2022

Was this webpage helpful?
Why not?