Skip to main content

Registration card production stops during July and August due to the start of the new registration year.

Registration Helper logo Registration Helper What registration do I need?

It is important that teachers understand the various checks, clearances and audits that may be required by VIT and other bodies.

Criminal history checks

All teachers, regardless of their registration category, are required to undertake a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) when first applying for registration once every five years from the date they registered with VIT as part of the annual registration process.

Depending on their residency history within the last ten years, an overseas criminal records check (CRC) may also be required.

Visit the Criminal history checks page to find out more.

Working with Children information

Teachers who hold current registration with VIT are exempt from requiring a Working with Children (WCC) clearance (previously called a Working with Children Check or WWCC).

However, teachers are required to notify Working with Children Check Victoria (WWCCV) if they engage in any paid or voluntary child-related work (other than their teaching), including information about

  • the person or organisation that employs them to engage in child-related work, or
  • any agency which they are listed as available to engage in child-related work.

Visit the Working with Children information page to find out more.


When a registered teacher undertakes the annual registration process, they will make legally binding self-declarations about their recency of practice, maintenance of their professional learning, and continuing suitability and fitness to teach.

To ensure consistency and compliance with legislation, VIT selects a number of teachers to verify their self-declarations each year.

Visit the Audits page to find out more.

Last updated: 14 Aug 2023

Was this webpage helpful?
Why not?