Skip to main content
Registration Helper logo Registration Helper What registration do I need?

If a provisionally registered teacher is unable to apply for full registration at the end of their initial two (2) year grant, they may apply for a further grant of provisional registration.

Approval of additional grants of provisional registration is not guaranteed; each further grant is assessed on its individual merits. Teachers will be required to submit detailed information outlining

  • why they have not been able to complete VIT’s Inquiry process and apply for full registration
  • how they intend to do this within the next period of provisional registration (if granted)
  • any other exceptional circumstances contributing to their situation.

This can be done via the ‘Apply for provisional registration’ tile in the teacher’s MyVIT account. This tile will only appear in the teacher’s MyVIT account three (3) months prior to the expiry of the teacher’s current grant of provisional registration.

Applicants that require a further grant of provisional registration are encouraged to apply in advance of their expiry date to enable VIT to assess their application prior to expiry.

Watch our video - How to apply for a further grant of provisional registration

Icon Important Info

Please note if the teacher has changed their name since they applied for provisional registration, they will be required to provide evidence of their name change. Visit the Proof of identity page to find out more.

Legislation provides that provisional registration should only be granted for a maximum of six years (or three grants of provisional registration). However, VIT may grant further applications beyond this limit under special circumstances. Each application will be assessed upon its merits.


Check out our frequently asked questions about applying for additional grants of provisional registration on our FAQs page.

Last updated: 28 Oct 2022

Was this webpage helpful?
Why not?