Skip to main content

Registration card production stops during July and August due to the start of the new registration year.

Registration Helper logo Registration Helper What registration do I need?

All statutory declarations must be certified by an authorised third party.

How to have a document correctly certified

Take the original AND a photocopy to an authorised person. The most common authorised persons are police officers, school principals and pharmacists.   

The authorised person must write on EVERY PAGE of the photocopied document:
‘I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true copy of the original’.   

Ensure the authorised person writes their name, signs each statement and provides their designation (police officer, pharmacist).

Who is authorised to certify documents? 

You can have documents certified by people who are legally allowed to take statutory declarations, including the following professions:

  • principal of a registered school
  • lawyer
  • medical practitioner
  • dentist
  • pharmacist
  • veterinarian
  • accountant
  • minister of religion authorised to celebrate marriages
  • a justice of the peace or a bail justice
  • bank manager, or
  • police officer.

Visit the Department of Justice website for the full list of persons who can witness statutory declarations.

If you are interstate or overseas

Applicants who are interstate or overseas must have their documents certified by a person authorised to do so in that State, Territory or country.

Last updated: 07 Jul 2021

Was this webpage helpful?
Why not?