Permission to Teach (PTT) is alternative authorisation to teach that exists primarily to address a workforce shortage within Victorian schools. PTT cannot be granted to teach in an early childhood service.
Before an applicant can apply for PTT, the school or body who intends to employ the applicant must endorse the application and provide information regarding the position, including why a grant of PTT is required.
The following principles apply to PTT
- PTT applies only to positions where the duties to be undertaken are those of a teacher delivering an educational program in a school
- PTT is granted to teach specific subjects or subject areas at a particular school.
- PTT is not a renewable form of registration and is limited to a maximum of three (3) years for any grant
- Unless explicitly exempt, holders of PTT are expected to progress towards teacher registration
- PTT confers the same professional obligations of a registered teacher
- The suitability and English Language Competence requirements for registration equally apply to PTT.
Visit our FAQs page to find more about PTT.
Registration requirements and how to register
Teachers who wish to apply for PTT are not registered as qualified teachers as they do not currently meet the qualification requirements for registration.
Applying for PTT is a two-step process. Click on each step below to find out more.
Please note a teacher cannot apply for permission to teach until the VIT has approved an employer’s application for PTT.
All teachers, regardless of their registration category, are required to meet certain obligations in order to maintain their registration.
For teachers with PTT, these include
- completing the annual registration process by 30 September each year, which includes
- paying an annual registration fee
- consenting to VIT running a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) every five (5) years
- maintaining their details with VIT, including confirming/updating their name, contact and employment details.
Visit the Maintain my registration page to find out more.
The following factsheets are available to assist those applying for permission to teach with understanding the registration process.
Last updated: 19 Jul 2021