Renewing my registration

Renewal of registration is a requirement for registered teachers and registered early childhood teachers. It is not a requirement for provisionally registered teachers, provisionally registered early childhood teachers or teachers holding permission to teach.  

All teachers, including those holding provisional registration or permission to teach, may still need to 

  • update their National Police History Check (if it is due to expire in the next renewal period)
  • pay the annual registration fee and any other required fees.

By 30 September every year, you renew your registration by completing an online application for renewal in your MyVIT portal.

To successfully renew your registration, you will need to make declarations

  • about your continuing suitability to be a teacher
  • that you have practised for at least 20 days as a teacher / educational leader (or undertaken equivalent practice)
  • that you have completed at least 20 hours of professional development activity that references the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.

If you are unable to meet at least 20 days teaching in the past 12 months, you will be provided with the option to declare you have undertaken either

  • 40 days in the previous two years; 
  • 60 days in the previous three years;
  • 80 days in the previous four years;
  • 100 days in the previous five years. 

If you are not currently teaching, or cannot meet the professional practice requirements to renew your registration, you can apply to register with us as non-practising. Learn more about applying for non-practising registration here.

Reportable Conduct

On 1 July 2017 the Victorian Government introduced the Reportable Conduct Scheme (‘Scheme’) to better protect children from harm.

The Commission for Children and Young People (‘the Commission’) is responsible for administering the Scheme.

The Scheme requires certain organisations providing services to children, including schools, to report to the Commission allegations of child abuse or child-related misconduct committed by workers or volunteers.

There are five types of reportable conduct

  1. sexual offences committed against, with or in the presence of a child
  2. sexual misconduct committed against, with or in the presence of a child
  3. physical violence against, with or in the presence of a child
  4. any behaviour that causes significant emotional or psychological harm to a child
  5. significant neglect of a child.

From the 2017 renewal period and beyond, you will be required to declare if you have been the subject of a reportable conduct matter and provide information about the circumstances of that matter.

This information will be used to assess your ongoing suitability to teach children.

To learn more about the Scheme and to find out more information on what is reportable conduct, please go to the Commission’s website.

Registration renewal in two divisions

If you are registered you will only need to complete the renewal of registration process once. The responses you give to the questions asked will apply to both registrations.

Successfully renewing registration in one division will mean that your registration in the other division is also renewed.

If you are registered in one division and hold non-practising registration in the other division and successfully renew your registration, this will result in you becoming registered in both divisions.

registration in two categories example 

Special needs requirements for renewal

Many of you have undertaken professional development (PD) activities that have developed your capability to teach learners with a disability (special needs).

You are encouraged to further your capability through your PD selection and use this to renew.

Find more about Special Needs PD to improve learning outcomes for learners with a disability.

Accessing and using your MyVIT account

Your MyVIT account will help you keep track of your application, complete your annual renewal and maintain your personal information. Learn about renewing your registration online through MyVIT.

Recency of practice

To renew your registration as a teacher, you need to maintain recency of practice by engaging in teaching, equivalent practice or educational leadership during the renewal period.

Professional development

Find out about professional development activities, how to keep a record of your activities and providing teacher professional development.


Read our Frequently Asked Questions about the renewal registration process.

What counts as professional development for the purposes of registration?

VIT uses the term professional development (PD) in reference to teacher registration and the renewal process, and recognises that it can also be referred to as professional learning (PL).

VIT does not have a definitive list of required PD activities for renewal of registration. You should consider your individual PD needs in relation to your teaching context, the needs of your learners and the priorities of your learning environment or education sector.

Professional learning is an ongoing process supported by planned learning activities and programs designed to enhance professional knowledge, practice and engagement.

You should engage in a range of activities that update your professional knowledge and practice. These may be undertaken individually or with colleagues, in your learning environment or externally, and online or face-to-face. More information on what can constitutes PD is outlined here. Please note individual education settings may have specific professional development requirements for employment purposes.

What do I do if I haven’t taught for 20 days in the last 12 months?

If you are unable to meet at least 20 days teaching in the past 12 months, you will be provided with the option at renewal to declare you have undertaken either:

  • 40 days in the previous two years; 
  • 60 days in the previous three years;
  • 80 days in the previous four years; or
  • 100 days in the previous five years.

If you are not currently employed as a teacher, you may also accumulate 20 days of practice through equivalent practice or educational leadership.

Through equivalent practice you can:

The criteria for equivalent practice should:

  • involve the delivery of accredited curriculum, the assessment of learning levels and learning needs of students, the modification of teaching practice to accommodate this, reporting of achievement, feedback on learning and review and reflection on professional practice to improve learning; and 
  • indicate that the teacher will be able to practice proficiently should they return to teaching in a school.

Educational leadership may involve activities such as:

  • developing resources and materials for use by teachers in schools or early childhood services;
  • research into teaching and learning and the dissemination of that knowledge to teachers and / or other educational leaders;
  • policy development to support and improve teaching and learning; and
  • working with teachers, either individually or collectively, to support and improve their professional knowledge and practice.

Teachers who are working in alternative teaching settings or related fields of education need to state a clear relationship between their work and the APST to make a case for equivalent practice and educational leadership. We do not meet with teachers to deliberate this.

Each teacher must make the connections between their work and the Standards, as the teachers themselves know their situation and setting better than we do. Keep your reflections and records of your work and then if you are part of a random audit, you will be able to give your reasons as to why you believe your work meets the requirements for renewal of registration.

More information on these categories can be found here.

If you are unable to meet the recency of practice requirements above, you will be provided with the opportunity to go to non-practising registration.

What is non-practising registration?

If you hold (full) registration, but are unable to meet the professional practice requirements for renewal of registration, you can register as non-practising. Non-practising registration allows a teacher to remain registered and return to (full) registration when they recommence teaching. This allows teachers to take time off from the teaching profession without compromising their registration.

Registering as non-practising will maintain your continued suitability and fitness to teach. However, you will not be able to work as a teacher whilst you have non-practicing registration.

To learn more about why you might wish to apply for non-practising, watch this video.

When you wish to return to teaching from non-practising, you must notify us prior to undertaking the duties of a teacher in a school or early childhood setting.

You can only apply for non-practising registration at renewal, however you can submit the returning to teaching from non-practising registration form at any time.

Returning from non-practising means that your knowledge and practice will not be current, so we will send you a new registration card with conditions.

The conditions are that during the time you are returning from non-practising, you have 12 months to complete the following requirements, at which time you will be granted (full) registration. 

Can I use overseas teaching experience for renewing my registration?

Overseas teaching experience can be used to meet the annual renewal of registration requirements.

Can I use PD I undertook overseas to renew my registration?

Professional development undertaken overseas can be used to meet the professional learning renewal requirements, provided the learning can be referenced to the APST.

When do I have to pay my renewal of registration fee?

You are required to pay an annual fee to keep your registration status active by 30 September.

In accordance with the Education and Training Reform Act 2006, the fees concerning teacher registration have been fixed by the Minister for Education.

The most current fees and timeline for teacher registration can be found here.

show more