Registering as a graduate

Whether you’re about to graduate, or have recently graduated, you will need to register with us before you can teach at any Victorian school or be employed as a registered early childhood teacher in Victoria. 

Please note: You will be unable to submit an application without all the correct documentation, including your evidence of course completion. The only exception is that applications from graduates of Victorian initial teacher education programs can be made up to four months before completion date. If you have completed or are due to complete an early childhood education program you will not be able to submit an application until you have received evidence of completion. 

Check out the timeline to find out the best time to start your application and remember to allow up to 6 weeks for an application to be assessed.

Timeline for mid-year and end-of-year graduates

Keep in mind if you made any declarations in the suitability module of the application form – you may need to provide us with additional information – and it could take more time to assess your application.

graduate timelines 

show timeline

Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education

In 2015, all Education Ministers agreed that from the 1 July 2016, the literacy and numeracy test for initial teacher education (LANTITE) will be used as the required means to demonstrate that initial teacher education (ITE) graduates have the required personal literacy and numeracy levels equivalent to the top 30% of the population.

Our policy

Since 1 July 2016, all Victorian ITE students have been required to meet the LANTITE requirement prior to being granted provisional registration as a teacher. Depending on when you commenced and completed your ITE program, you may need to provide VIT with evidence of having successfully completed the LANTITE.

If you commenced an accredited ITE program on or after 1 January 2017, the LANTITE requirement forms part of the ITE program, and must be met before graduation. Your ITE provider can provide you with more information about when you will be required to meet the test.

If you commenced a VIT accredited ITE program before 1 January 2017 and completed the qualification on or after 1 July 2016, and graduated from the ITE program without satisfactorily completing LANTITE, you are required to satisfactorily complete the LANTITE as part of your registration requirements in Victoria.

If you completed an accredited ITE program before 1 July 2016, the LANTITE requirement does not apply to you.

Applying for early childhood teacher (ECT) registration

If you are applying for registration as an early childhood teacher you will not be required to meet the LANTITE requirement to gain registration. However, some ITE providers may choose to make LANTITE part of their program requirements.

If you are applying for registration as both an early childhood teacher and a teacher, you will need to meet the LANTITE requirement in relation to your teacher registration.

The test

There are two components to the test, a literacy component and a numeracy component.

The Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) is responsible for administering the test. The test is available at set times (windows) throughout the year.

You have the flexibility to register and sit each test component separately and may sit the test either remotely or in a physical test centre (where available).

The Commonwealth policy is that you are permitted to sit each component of the test up to three times.
If there are special or extenuating circumstances, you may be granted further attempts to sit test components (with a maximum of five test attempts).

The test has been a ministerial requirement for initial teacher education students since 1 July 2016. You must have met the standard for both components of LANTITE to be eligible to register for teacher registration with VIT.

More information about the test can be found on the ACER website.

VIT recognises successful completion of the following tests as meeting the LANTITE requirement

  • National Literacy and Numeracy Initial Teacher Education Students Test; 
  • NSW Literacy and Numeracy for Classroom Readiness Test; 
  • ACT Canberra Teacher Recruitment Assessment; and 
  • The 2015 August / September trial of the National Literacy and Numeracy Test.

show more

For more information and resources, visit the LANTITE page.

Documents you may have to provide depending on your circumstances

How to verify your identity

You may need to provide copies of five different proof of identity documents:

  • one commencement of identity document to confirm your birth or arrival in Australia;
  • one primary document to show the use of your identity in the community;
  • two secondary documents to show the use of your identity in the community; and
  • a completed verification of identity form (downloaded as part of your application).

Your teacher education qualification

We have an information sharing agreement for graduates of initial teacher education (ITE) courses at the institutions listed below. If you are completing your teacher education qualification at one of these institutions, we should receive the required evidence directly from them. We recommend checking with your institution that you'll be included in this arrangement.

If you are not completing your teacher education qualification at one of these institutions, you will need to provide a copy of your complete official academic transcript and evidence of course completion, and may be required to provide evidence of supervised teaching practice.

  • Australian Catholic University Victoria
  • Charles Darwin University
  • Deakin University
  • Eastern College Australia
  • Federation University Australia
  • Holmesglen Institute
  • La Trobe University
  • Melbourne Polytechnic
  • Monash University
  • RMIT University
  • Swinburne University of Technology
  • University of Melbourne
  • Victoria University

show more

If you have changed your name

We need to be informed if you have EVER been known by another name.

The name you use to register with us must match the name on the identification documents you provide. If you have changed your name, you will need to provide evidence of ALL changes of name by supplying a copy of one of the following: 

  • marriage certificate
  • divorce papers
  • name change certificate issued by a State or Territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • deed poll

show more

If you are completing a post-graduate teaching qualification

If you completed an undergraduate course – such as a Bachelor of Science – prior to the commencement of your post-graduate teaching qualification, you will need to provide copies of your undergraduate transcript and evidence of course completion, even if you completed your undergraduate study at the same institution as your teacher education qualification.

A copy of a full academic transcript for each qualification will be required for overseas qualifications. 

If you have been granted advanced standing

If you have been granted advanced standing or credit on previous studies in any of your qualifications being presented for registration, you may need to provide copies of transcript/s for the previous study.

If you need to undertake an English language competency test

English language competency can be demonstrated in two ways; by completion of higher education studies in a named country, or by completion of an English language competency test. If you are required to undertake an approved English language test to provide evidence of your competence in the English language, you will need to provide a copy of your certificate or a written statement from an accredited testing centre.

For further information see the English language competency requirements for teacher registration and early childhood teacher registration

Waiting times for an English language competency test can be lengthy – book your test well in advance.

If you need to provide an overseas Criminal Record Check

If you have resided in any country outside of Australia for 12 months or more within the last 10 years – and you were over the age of 18 – you will need to provide a correctly certified copy of a police certificate issued by the national police service in the country that you lived in.

Find out more about obtaining a police certificate from an overseas country.  

Waiting times for an overseas Criminal Record Check can be lengthy – make arrangements for the check well in advance.

If you have documents in a language other than English

If you have documents in a language other than English, you will need to provide copies of any relevant documents in the original language.

You must also provide translated copies. These translations must be prepared and certified as correct by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

NOTE: You must provide copies of both the original and the translated documents.

show more