If I have provisional registration in both categories (teacher / ECT), do I undertake the Inquiry process in each setting?

You should undertake the inquiry process in the setting you are teaching. Regardless of your context, all PRTs follow the same process to apply for (full) registration.

Successful completion of an application for (full) registration in one category of registration will lead to successful completion of (full) registration requirements in the other category of registration.

As an early childhood teacher, how can I find a mentor?

As a provisionally registered early childhood teacher, you may find the following suggestions helpful in connecting with a mentor

  • if your service is an Early Years Management (EYM) organisation, the EYM manager may be able to determine if there is a potential mentor at a nearby service;
  • if you are a member of an early childhood professional associations, you may contact them to find out if they are able to assist. Alternatively, you may consider joining one;
  • use your professional network or alumni contacts;
    consider networking opportunities such as conferences and professional development (your local government may also hold network events for early childhood services);
  • consider becoming a member of relevant early childhood social media pages;
  • if your service is coordinated by local government, the relevant officer at the local government office may be able to determine if there is a potential mentor at a nearby service; and
  • if your employer operates multiple services, your area manager or equivalent may be able to point you to an experienced teacher from another service.

The Department of Education and Training (DET) also operates a mentor map, which you can use to connect with local mentors in your area.

If you have any questions relating to the mentor map, or to add your service details to the interactive mentor map, contact DET’s early childhood mentoring team at ec.mentoring@edumail.vic.gov.au.

In exceptional circumstances, where there is no suitable mentor at your own or a nearby service, contacting the principal at a local primary school may be an option to find a potential mentor to
support you in the process to become (fully) registered.

Options to find an early childhood mentor should have been exhausted first, which may include a mentoring relationship using email, phone or web communication, rather than face-to-face.

How are the APST relevant to me as an early childhood teacher?

The APST are the teaching standards that all Australian teachers are expected to demonstrate, this includes teachers in a range of different contexts including schools, early childhood services and non-school settings.

Six Illustrations of Practice referencing kindergarten teaching in early childhood services have been produced through a partnership between VIT and the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL).

Can I undertake the provision to (full) registration process if I am employed as an educator in an early childhood service?

Educators are not able to use this practice for the purposes of moving to (full) registration.

The Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) provides the following definition of an early
childhood teacher:

"early childhood teacher"
a) includes a preschool teacher and a kindergarten teacher; and 

b) does not include an educator (within the meaning of section 5 of the Education and Care Services National Law (Victoria)) or a staff member of a children's service (within the meaning of the Children's Services Act 1996 ), who does not hold an approved early childhood teaching qualification; and

In order for an early childhood teacher to use their practice to move to (full) registration, they must have all of the following requirements:

  • be employed as an early childhood teacher or a leader of an education program; 
  • have appropriate qualifications; and
  • be registered with VIT as an early childhood teacher.

The following will not contribute to meeting the professional practice requirements for registration:

  • being employed or engaged as an educator of an education and care service; 
  • being employed or engaged as an early childhood teacher assistant of an education and care service; and 
  • being employed or engaged as an educator assistant of an education and care service.