My provisional registration is expiring – what do I need to do?
Your registration has the following condition:
- your provisional registration is subject to the condition that you will before the end of the second year of this registration achieve the standard of professional practice required for full registration.
To meet your responsibilities as a registered teacher, before the end of your second year of provisional registration you should
- apply for (full) registration; or
- submit a reapplication for provisional registration.
If you are unable to gain regular employment at a school or early childhood service, you may not be in a position to demonstrate you have achieved the Proficient Teacher standards for (full) registration.
If this is the case, or you have other exceptional circumstances preventing you from meeting the requirements, you may need to reapply for a further period of provisional registration.
How to move to (full) registration
To move from provisional to (full) registration, you need to
- have taught for a total of at least 80 days in one or more Australian or New Zealand schools or early childhood (EC) services; and
- provide evidence that you have met the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) at the Proficient Teacher level using the inquiry approach.
How to submit a reapplication for provisional registration
If you are unable to apply for (full) registration before your registration expires, you may reapply for provisional registration.
Reapplications for further periods of provisional registration are assessed on their individual merits and are not guaranteed approval.
You will be required to submit detailed information outlining
- why you have not been able to complete the inquiry approach and apply for (full) registration
- how you intend to do this in the next period of provisional registration (if granted)
- any other exceptional circumstances.
To submit a reapplication for provisional registration, log into your MyVIT account and complete a Reapplication for provisional registration form (Form R). Teachers with a registration number beginning with ‘6’ should contact VIT for a form.