Returning to teaching

Returning to teaching from non-practising

When you wish to return to teaching from non-practising, you must notify us prior to undertaking the duties of a teacher in a school or early childhood setting.

You can only apply for non-practising registration at renewal, however you can submit the returning to teaching from non-practising registration form via your MyVIT account at any time.

Returning from non-practising means that your knowledge and practice will not be current, so we will send you a new registration card with conditions.

Returning to Teach: What you need to know

If you’re thinking about choosing non-practising registration, you’ll need to know about what happens when you want to return to teaching. 

watch video

Returning to teaching requirements

During the time you are returning from non-practising, you have 12 months to complete the following requirements, at which time you will be granted (full) registration.                                        

  • Twenty (20) days teaching or educational leadership in a school or early childhood setting ; and
  • Twenty (20) hours of professional development activity that references the APST.

You can complete some or all of the hours of professional development in the 12 months before you return to teaching from non-practising.

Please keep in mind that if you are unable to meet the requirements in the time given, you will not be able to return to non-practising registration, your registration will expire and you will be removed from the register. Please note that it is an offence to teach without registration. 

If you are due to submit your returning evidence, you will receive and email with the Returning Evidence Form, please complete and return it via email.

All correspondence and forms should be directed to

If you no longer wish to be registered with us, please visit your MyVIT account and submit a cessation of registration form.

show more

Returning to teaching evidence

How do I verify my professional practice (days of teaching)?

Evidence of your professional practice can take the form of payslips, statements of service or letters on official letterhead outlining employment dates, your role and numbers of days worked.

Note: Group certificates are not accepted. Further evidence of how your role meets the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers may be requested if you are returning on the basis of Educational Leadership.

Most commonly, a teacher will ask their principal or early childhood leader to complete Section 2: Option A of the Returning from non-practising evidence form to verify that the teacher has completed the required number of teaching days.

Casual relief teaching
Teachers who work across a number of schools or early childhood services may wish to confirm their days of teaching, equivalent practice or education leadership by supplying payslips, statements of service or letters on official letterhead, outlining employment dates, their role and numbers of days worked (group certificates are not accepted). Multiple documents may be needed for teachers who have worked in a number of contexts or across a number of schools or early childhood services since their return from non-practising.

Home schooling
Teachers will be required to be registered with the VRQA as a home schooler and should provide evidence of this. They will also need to provide a statuary declaration advising the number of days of home schooling they completed within the registration year.

What are the different types of professional practice

Teaching Undertaking the duties of a teacher in an early childhood centre, primary, secondary or special school.
Educational leadership

This is typically the work of a principal or school leader but can also include work for DET, CEO or other educational organisations schools deal with directly. Educational leadership roles can be both in and out of schools where the nature of their work has a relationship with the standards of professional practice. Educational leaders may not be teaching students but their work will directly influence teaching and learning in classroom situations.

How do I verify my hours of professional development?

Teachers can count any reasonable activities they engage in that develop their professional knowledge and practice to support student learning and are relevant to their teaching context. These activities must be relate to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST). At least some of their 20 hours must fall under the domains of Professional Knowledge, Professional Practice and Professional Engagement.

What is a domain?

Domain is a term used to categorise the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST). There are three domains:

  1. Professional knowledge
  2. Professional practice
  3. Professional engagement

Teachers are required to address at least one satndard in each domain through the PD they undertake each year.

How to I document and provide evidence of my professional development?

Professional development information is provided via the MyPD section of your MyVIT account. A PDF of the Professional Development entered is then downloaded and emailed with your Returning evidence form.

For more information on how to use MyPD, login via your MyVIT account or download the MyPD FAQs.

show more

Types of professional learning activities

VIT expects PD activities used as evidence to be formal and / or informal learning experiences aimed at improving the teacher’s knowledge, practice and competencies in the APST.

Your PD must address at least one standard of the three domains of the APST.
  1. Professional knowledge
  2. Professional practice
  3. Professional engagement

The twenty hours of PD must be completed within each registration year.

For example:

If completing first aid training is an organisational requirement for you, then this will address APST 7.2 Comply with legislative, administrative and organisational requirements.

APST 7.2 is in the Professional Engagement domain of the standards, so to meet the PD requirements you will also have to complete PD that addresses at least one standard in the Professional Knowledge domain and one standard in the Professional Practice domain.

show more

Providing evidence of your professional development

It is the registered teacher's responsibility to provide returning evidence to VIT. VIT will not ask schools to provide this evidence, although a teacher may ask their school principal or early childhood leader to validate their claims in respect to teaching days, equivalent practice or educational leadership. 

By choosing to return via your annual renewal or completing a Returning from non-practising evidence form, a teacher is indicating to VIT they can provide evidence of this.

For information on how to provide evidence, examples of reflections and questions to answer for each reflection, read our how to show evidence of your professional development article

Returning from non-practising evidence form is available in your MyVIT account.