Registering as a teacher

If you are registering for the first time

To start the registration process, visit MyVIT and follow the prompts. 

If there are any issues with your application, we will get in touch with you using the contact details you have provided.

Once your name appears on the public register, you are entitled to commence teaching. A registration card will be sent once your registration is approved. The card may take up to 20 business days to reach you.


Read about the approved and recognised qualifications we accept for registering as a teacher or early childhood teacher.

Overseas documents in a language other than English

If any of your documents are in a language other than English, you will need to provide copies of the documents in the original language, plus translations.

These translations must be prepared and certified as correct by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd.(NAATI). This is an external link.

Documents that require translation can include (but are not limited to): overseas birth or marriage certificate, other legal ‘change of name’ documents, qualification documents, overseas criminal record checks.

show more

Proving your identity and suitability to teach

You will be required to provide information about evidence to prove your identity and give consent so we can undertake a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check on your behalf. We may carry out other criminal record checks from time to time.  

Providing an overseas criminal record check

If you were over the age of 18 and lived continuously in any country other than Australia for 12 months within the last 10 years, you will need to provide a certified copy of a police certificate issued by the national police service in the country you lived in.

Read more about obtaining a police certificate from a list of overseas countries. 

Declaring physical and / or mental health conditions

You need to declare any condition(s) that will affect your ability to undertake the duties of a teacher.

A condition may be ongoing or temporary, but conditions such as broken bones do not need to be declared.

If you are suffering from substance abuse and/or dependence, you will need to declare this with us. When you declare a condition, we will ask you to submit a statement that outlines your condition.

Depending upon the nature of the condition and the information you provide in your statement, we may require the submission of a medical report.

show more

Providing an English language test

You do not need to provide any further evidence of your English language competence if you have completed four years (full-time) of higher-education studies, including one year of teacher education study in one of these countries: Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, UK or Ireland.

If you do not meet these requirements and have completed your higher education studies in any other country, you will need to provide a copy of an approved English language competency test.

For example

  • If you completed an undergraduate teacher education qualification in Singapore, you will be required to provide evidence of your English language competence.
  • If you completed an undergraduate degree (in a study other than teacher education) in France and then completed a postgraduate teacher education qualification in Australia, you will be required to provide evidence of your English language competence.

show more

Learn more about approved English language tests and accredited testing centres.

Applying under Mutual Recognition

If you’re currently registered interstate or in New Zealand, or accredited in New South Wales, and want to teach in Victoria, you need to register with us under the Mutual Recognition process via your MyVIT account.

If you currently hold registration with us

You can apply for a second registration as a teacher or an ECT by accessing the relevant registration application in your MyVIT account.

You will need to provide evidence of approved qualifications. If these qualifications are the same as those you used to apply for your current teacher registration, then you will not have to provide evidence of your qualifications.

Keep these in mind before your start an application

  • you must hold a current and satisfactory National Police History Check
  • you will have to make some further declarations about your continuing suitability to be a teacher
  • you will be required to make a payment for your registration by credit or debit card.

show more

Do you have a question?

Click here to ask one of our friendly staff.