Requirements for registering as an early childhood teacher
To be registered as an early childhood teacher (ECT), you will need to hold a qualification approved or recognised by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA).
Requirements for registering as a teacher
To be registered as a teacher, you will need to hold:
- four years of full-time or equivalent higher education study, including an approved initial primary and / or secondary teaching qualification of at least one year's duration
- an approved Certificate of Proficiency / Completion in a trade together with:
- relevant industrial experience combined with a period of apprenticeship that totals no less than eight years
- an approved trade technician course or an approved equivalent program of post-apprenticeship studies
- an approved course of teacher education
- an approved Certificate of Technology, together with a minimum of six years of approved industrial experience and an approved course of secondary teacher education.
Upgrading your three-year teaching qualification
If you hold a three-year teaching qualification, there are six basic pathways which can lead you to be conferred with four-year qualified status in Victoria.
- complete one year of tertiary study towards a single award (such as a degree, diploma or Associate Diploma program) at a recognised Australian higher education institution
- complete one year of tertiary study towards a single award requiring year 12 as a minimum entry requirement (such as an Advanced Diploma, Associate Diploma or Diploma) at a recognised Australian TAFE institution
- complete a fourth year Bachelor of Education program at a recognised Australian higher education institution
- complete any two Graduate Certificate programs at one or more recognised Australian higher education institutions
- complete any one-year Graduate Diploma program at a recognised Australian higher education institution
- complete a graduate-entry teacher education program at a recognised Australian higher education institution.
The one year full-time or part-time equivalent teacher education programs endorsed by VIT are also suitable for three-year qualified teachers wishing to upgrade their qualifications to four-year qualified status.
- English language competence policy (PDF, 597.82 KB)
Please note the English language policy was amended to include early childhood teachers in September 2015.