To verify your identity for the first time, you will need to provide us with copies of appropriate proof of identity documents.

  • one commencement of identity document to confirm your birth or arrival in Australia;
  • one primary document to show the use of your identity in the community;
  • two secondary documents to show the use of your identity in the community; and
  • a completed verification of identity form (downloaded as part of your application).

Please note, if VIT has previously verified your identity your document requirements may differ. This will be specified within your application form.

IMPORTANT: Please ensure that 

  • at least one of your ID documents contains a photo of you; and
  • that at least one of your ID documents contain your full name and DOB.

Commencement of identity documents

  • Australian birth certificate (full only, not an extract or birth card)
  • Australian passport (current but not cancelled)
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Australian Visa (current at time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist)
  • ImmiCard issued by Immigration and Border Protection that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or immigration status
  • Certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia 
  • Document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to Australian citizens or persons who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes
  • Certificate of evidence of residence status

Primary use in the community documents

  • Australian driver’s licence (current), learner permit or provisional licence issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed
  • Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted)
  • Passport (current) issued by a country other than Australia with a valid entry stamp or visa
  • Proof of age or photo identity card (current)  issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the applicant, with a signature and photo

Secondary use in the community documents

  • Centrelink card (including Health Care, Seniors Health or Pensioner Concession card)
  • Medicare card
  • Foreign government issued documents (such as a current overseas Driver’s licence or national identity card) 
  • Australian government issued photo ID card 
  • Australian tertiary student photo identity card
  • Australian Electoral Commission enrolment
  • Certificate of ID issued by Foreign Affairs & Trade
  • Document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs & Trade
  • Convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • Consular photo ID card issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade 
  • Security guard or crowd control photo licence
  • Police officer photo ID card
  • Australian defence force photo ID card
  • Aviation security ID card
  • Maritime Security ID card
  • Credit reference check
  • Australian secondary student card
  • Certified academic transcript from an Australian university
  • Trusted referees report. The full list of trusted referees can be found here.

Change of name

If you have changed your name, or been known by another name, you must provide a linking document between your current name and former name(s). 

Examples of linking documents include

  • marriage certificate
  • divorce order
  • name change certificate issued by a State or Territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Deed Poll
  • Statutory Declaration (when none of the above documents is available).