In many cases, concerns you have about a teacher can be resolved appropriately by discussing them with the teacher's employer.  

Before you lodge a complaint with us, we encourage you to contact and speak with the:

  • principal or person in charge of the education setting;
  • governing body of the education setting; or
  • authority that employs the teacher (i.e. the Department of Education and Training or the relevant Diocesan Director of Catholic Education).

If your complaint cannot be resolved, or you don’t want to discuss your complaint with the teacher’s employer, you may lodge a complaint with us about a registered teacher.

Complaints we investigate

We can only deal with complaints that relate to allegations of:

If your complaint relates to one or more of these areas, then you may lodge a complaint with us about a registered teacher.

Search the register of teachers.

Complaints we are unable to investigate

We are unable to consider complaints in every circumstance.

For example, we cannot investigate:

  • administrative matters such as
    • concerns regarding class allocations or academic grading
    • issues about the application of school policies – these should be directed to the school
  • concerns about the management of a school that are not specific to a teacher – these issues should be directed to the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority
  • complaints that are malicious, vexatious or not supported by evidence
  • certain issues concerning a teacher’s personal life (such as lawful activities undertaken in personal time that have no connection to teaching).

Contact us if you are still unsure about whether we can investigate your complaint.

Lodging a complaint with us

To lodge a complaint with us, you will need to complete the Complaint Form online.

Information you will need to provide

It is important you include any supporting documents and as much information as possible about:

  • the circumstances that led to your complaint arising
  • dates or timeframes as to when events occurred
  • names and contact details of any witnesses.

Making an anonymous complaint

You can choose to lodge an anonymous complaint with us, however we may:

  • not be able to resolve the matters you have raised
  • be required to disclose your identity during an investigation.

How we manage your complaint

Once we receive your Complaint Form and supporting documents, it will be assessed to decide whether or not an investigation will be conducted.

We will notify you within 14 days of us making a decision whether to investigate or not.

If we decide to investigate, you:

  • will be provided with information about the progress of the investigation every three months
  • may be asked to provide a witness statement
  • may be required to attend a hearing to give evidence as a witness.

Read more about our investigation process.