The following fact sheets and frequently asked questions are provided to assist you in understanding your registration requirements, workplace rights and entitlements. 

VIT is not an employment body and does not deal with issues relating to your pay or working conditions. These questions should be directed towards your employer or your relevant union.

DET Fact Sheet

The Department of Education and Training (DET) Fact Sheet has been provided for CRTs working in government schools. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact DET directly. 

IEU Fact Sheet

The Independent Education Union (IEU) Fact Sheet has been provided for CRTs working in Independent and Catholic schools. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact IEU directly.

FAQs for casual relief teachers

Read our frequently asked questions about specific information relating to CRTs. The registration requirements are the same for all teachers, regardless of their employment status. These FAQs should be read in conjunction with other information regarding registration.

(Fully) registered CRTs

Is there a separate category of registration for CRTs? Why does a CRT have to meet the same renewal requirements as all other teachers?

There is not a separate registration category for casual relief, relief or emergency teachers (CRTs). VIT is bound by the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) which determines the different categories of registration. VIT registers all teachers regardless of their employment status.

A CRT registered with VIT is able to undertake the full duties of a teacher at any time, and therefore VIT needs to be assured that all teachers, including CRTs, meet the required professional practice standards, regardless of their employment status. This is consistent with the national agreements that apply to all teacher regulators in Australia.

What counts as professional development?

VIT uses the term professional development (PD) in reference to teacher registration and the renewal process, and recognises that it can also be referred to as professional learning (PL).

VIT does not have a definitive list of required PD activities for renewal of registration. You should consider your individual PD needs in relation to your teaching context, the needs of your learners and the priorities of your learning environment or education sector.

Professional learning is an ongoing process supported by planned learning activities and programs designed to enhance professional knowledge, practice and engagement.

You should engage in a range of activities that update your professional knowledge and practice. These may be undertaken individually or with colleagues, in your learning environment or externally and online or face-to-face. More information on what can constitutes PD is outlined here. Please note individual education settings may have specific professional development requirements for employment purposes.

The Teacher Learning Network (TLN) and the Department of Education will continue to provide free PD to all casual relief, relief, relieving and emergency teachers (CRTs) in 2019. To access this free PD go to and register to become a member. All courses address the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and contribute to your VIT PD requirements for renewal of registration.

What constitutes a teaching day for renewal of registration?

A day of teaching as a CRT in a school setting can be determined by your payslip. For example, if you are employed for one day as a CRT, this will constitute a day of teaching for VIT renewal purposes, if you are employed for half a day this will constitute half a day of teaching for VIT renewal purposes.

If you are employed sessionally, a day of teaching is approximately 7.6 hours. The hours can consist face-face teaching time, as well as any time spent planning for the learning or assessing learners.

If you are unable to meet at least 20 days teaching in the past 12 months, you will be provided with the option at renewal to declare you have undertaken

  • 40 days in the previous two years; 
  • 60 days in the previous three years;
  • 80 days in the previous four years; or
  • 100 days in the previous five years.

If you are not currently employed as a teacher, you may also accumulate 20 days of practice through equivalent practice or educational leadership. 

Through equivalent practice you can

  • plan, teach and assess an approved curriculum to school aged learners; and
  • connect your practice to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.

Educational leadership may involve activities such as

  • developing resources and materials for use by teachers in schools or early childhood services;
  • research into teaching and learning and the dissemination of that knowledge to teachers and / or other educational leaders;
  • policy development to support and improve teaching and learning; and
  • working with teachers, either individually or collectively, to support and improve their professional knowledge and practice.

More information on these categories can be found here.

show more

Provisionally registered CRTs

How can I undertake the provisional to (full) process as a CRT?

The process for moving to (full) registration is the same for a CRT as it is for any other teacher. There can be some additional challenges in completing this process as a CRT, but it is possible.

We suggest that once you have been employed by one school / early childhood service a number of times, and have established a relationship with that workplace, you can approach the leadership about the possibility of gaining long-term employment and discuss if the workplace is willing to support you through the (full) registration process.

You will need to familiarise yourself with the provisional to (full) process by reading our Supporting Provisionally Registered Teachers Guide and the CRT companion guide which outlines some additional strategies and information for CRTs undertaking the (full) registration process. Take the time to reflect on this process and how you may approach this within your specific context. You may also wish to consider attending a face-to-face or online PRT seminar, which provides an overview of the (full) registration process. The dates and the process for registration at these seminars can be found here.

Remember that provisional registration lasts for two years, if you are seeking more permanent employment it may be worth waiting until you have a more permanent role to undertake the (full) registration process. 

Teachers working in a CRT capacity should

  • seek an extended period of time in one workplace where possible;
  • extend the amount of time in which the Inquiry process is undertaken; and
  • focus on a constant (e.g. a particular year level of learners or subject / learning area) or particular types of learners (e.g. catering for mixed ability classes) where they are not teaching the same learners.

Do I need a block of time in one workplace to undertake my inquiry?

It can be challenging to undertake the (full) registration process without an extended period with the same learners. It may be worth waiting until you have an extended block of time in one workplace to undertake your inquiry. We suggest around 4-6 weeks to undertake your inquiry for teachers in permanent employment, however, if you undertake this process as a CRT, be aware that it may take you longer than this time.

If your context means that you are not working with the same learners and do not have the opportunity to have an extended period of employment in one workplace, you will need to consider how you can undertake an inquiry into your practice in this context. Some suggestions and strategies to approach the (full) registration process in these contexts be found in our CRT companion guide.

How can I connect with a mentor as a CRT?

We suggest that once you have been employed by the same school / service a number of times and developed a relationship with that workplace, you may consider approaching the leadership to see if they would be willing to support you through the (full) registration process and connect you with a mentor or an experienced colleague.

Who can be my mentor?

We recommend that a registered teacher who has participated in a VIT (EMP or other) mentor training program acts as your mentor. Where it is not possible to be supported by a trained mentor, you may work with an experienced colleague.

Does the 80 days of teaching have to be completed in one school / service?

You can undertake the 80 days of practice in more than one workplace setting. As long as you can provide evidence that you have taught for 80 days in Australian or New Zealand schools or services over the past five years, these can be in more than one school or service. The evidence can be in the form of statement of service, pay slips or letter / email from the workplace. 

It is recommended that before a workplace panel endorses an application for full registration, the workplace needs to have observed the teacher’s practice over an extended period and sight the evidence of teaching days. 

The workplace panel will make their recommendation for full recommendation based on a consistent representation of practice over time. The principal, panel chair or their delegate must be satisfied that the teacher has undertaken the Inquiry process and provided sufficient evidence that the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at the Proficient Teacher level have been met.

Make sure that if you have completed your 80 days of teaching in more than one school / service that you can provide evidence of your teaching days to the recommendation panel.

Can my 80 days be a mixture of paid employment and volunteering?

The 80 days can be a mixture of paid employment and non-paid employment. If you are engaged in non-paid teaching work, you need to

  • work independently and not under the direct supervision of another teacher;
  • plan and deliver an approved curriculum to school / early childhood aged learners;
  • have direct teaching relationships with your learners;
  • select and use resources and / or modify your teaching practice in response to the learning needs of the learners; and assess learning, including reporting to parents / carers; and
  • undertake the Inquiry process and evidence all the 37 descriptors of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at the proficient level.

Do I have to complete 80 days of teaching before I start my inquiry?

You can start your inquiry and gather evidence before you have completed 80 days of teaching. You will need to have completed at least 80 days of teaching before you present to your recommendation panel.

Who signs off on the recommendation report?

The recommendation report that attests to the provisionally registered teacher’s proficiency in the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers must be completed by a registered VIT principal or panel chair. Where the principal or panel chair is not in a position to complete the recommendation report, they can delegate the responsibility to an experienced teacher, who must hold (full) registration.

Can I complete the process at one school, but have the recommendation made by another school?

It is a requirement that the school recommendation is provided by the principal or their delegate at the school where most of the teaching practice has been undertaken and documented.

Before endorsing an application for (full) registration, a school needs to have observed the teacher’s practice over an extended period. The recommendation must be based on a consistent representation of practice over time and the principal or delegate must be satisfied that the teacher has provided sufficient evidence that the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers have been met.

Can I undertake the evidence-based process when teaching in a non-school setting?

As long as your work involves developing, teaching, assessing and reporting on a program of study of an approved school curriculum (e.g. AusVELS / Victorian Curriculum, VCE, VCAL, IB etc) and allows you to address all of the standards and associated descriptors.

You will also need to be teaching children or young adults of school age.

Examples of non-school settings where approved curriculum is taught may include the Melbourne Zoo, Royal Children’s Hospital and TAFE institutions offering the VCAL or VET programs (if they are teaching school aged students).

The CRT companion guide can provide some additional assistance and guidance to teachers undertaking the (full) registration process in a non-school setting.

Do I need to do 20 hours of PD as a PRT?

The 20 hours of professional development is a renewal of registration requirement for (fully) registered teachers. Provisionally registered teachers are not obligated to undertake set hours of PD to maintain provisional registration. It is expected that PRTs will continue their professional development through their inquiry in the (full) registration process.

What do I do if I can’t move to (full) registration within two years?

If you have been unable to undertake the (full) registration process within the first two years, you may apply for another period of provisional registration.

Reapplications for further periods of provisional registration are assessed on their individual merits and are not guaranteed approval.

You will be required to submit detailed information outlining

  • why you have not been able to complete the inquiry approach and apply for (full) registration;
  • how you intend to do this in the next period of provisional registration (if granted); and
  • any other exceptional circumstances.

What constitutes a day of teaching?

VIT defines 7.6 hours as equivalent to a day of teaching.

If you are employed as a teacher for a full day (ongoing, contract or casual), you can consider this a day of teaching. 

If you are employed for half a day as teacher, regardless of face-to-face teaching time, VIT will consider this half a day of teaching.

Teaching hours include your face-to-face teaching time, as well as the time you spend preparing the learning environment and assessing learner's work.

show more