To renew your registration as a teacher, you need to maintain recency of practice by engaging in teaching, equivalent practice or educational leadership during the renewal period.

Recency of practice means

  • you have taught for a minimum of 20 days per year (which can be averaged over five years)
  • you have undertaken at least 20 hours of standards referenced professional development activities per year.

Equivalent practice

If you are a registered teacher who is teaching in a setting other than in early childhood service or a primary, secondary or special school – and you can demonstrate a clear relationship between your work and the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers – you may be able to claim equivalent practice.

We will consider you to have equivalent practice if you can demonstrate an equivalence in your professional duties with that of an early childhood teacher or primary, secondary or special school teacher including

  • delivering accredited curriculum or a program consistent with an approved framework
  • assessing or making judgements about developmental levels of learners
  • modifying practice
  • providing feedback
  • reporting achievement to parents / carers
  • reviewing and reflecting on professional practice to improve learning.

You could be working in a variety of environments such as

  • a role in an early childhood service that is not an ECT but where there is an equivalence to the work of an ECT    
  • as a teacher in an outdoor education centre, the zoo, the museum, the aquarium, forest education facilities, a correctional facility, CERES, etc 
  • as a lecturer or tutor in a higher education institution or TAFE
  • education support in early childhood services where there is an equivalence to the work of an ECT (eg. as a pre-school field officer, inclusion support officer, educational psychologist or a speech therapist)
  • offices of sector authorities such as the DET, CEO Melbourne, Sale, Ballarat or Sandhurst, the CSE, the ISV, the VCAA
  • education unions (AEU or the IEU)
  • subject associations or other teaching organisations.

show more

Educational leadership activities

Educational leadership may involve activities such as:

  • Developing resources and materials for use by teachers in schools or early childhood services.
  • Research into teaching and learning and the dissemination of that knowledge to teachers and/or other educational leaders.
  • Policy development to support and improve teaching and learning.
  • Working with teachers, either individually or collectively to support and improve their professional knowledge and practice.

Teachers working as educational leaders may have leadership roles in schools or early childhood services but could also be working:

  • in a regional office
  • in a local council or kindergarten cluster group
  • in an organisation providing services and/or support to early learning centres
  • in an education union
  • with the DET, VCAA, CEO or ISV
  • with a professional teaching association
  • undertaking research into teaching and learning or education related issues 
  • as an educational consultant or as a leader in the area of teacher professional development.

show more

If you work in an education-related field and don't teach students

As a registered teacher, you can maintain the recency of your professional practice when you are able to establish a clear relationship between the work you undertake and the standards of professional practice.

This could involve work that:

  • supports or improves the professional knowledge and practice of teachers in schools, early childhood services and other contexts
  • demonstrates a relationship to the standards of professional practice.

 In most instances, we will consider this type of work to be educational leadership.

If you work in a classroom as a volunteer with learners

We may be able to count this as equivalent practice. The work you are doing must involve direct interaction with learners and have a relationship to the standards of professional practice because it includes the use of:

  • assessment of learning of recognised content
  • modification of teaching practice to response to learning needs.

show more

Calculating a day of teaching

If you are working as a casual relief teacher, you may work for a day or a half-day as determined by the employing school or early childhood service. 

If you teach part-time, you should calculate your days teaching based on your fraction of part-time employment in a week and not on the hours you spend teaching in a day.

For example, if you are a teacher working:

  • on a part-time fraction of 0.3, you will be working 1.5 days a week
  • on a part-time fraction of 0.8, you will be working 4 days a week.

If you are an early childhood teacher working part-time then you should use your part-time fraction to calculate your 20 days teaching. 

One day is 7.6 hours. This includes your face-to-face teaching AND all other activities associated with your work as a teacher, either in a paid or voluntary capacity.

For example:

Hours per week / 

Part-time equivalent  (PTE)

7.6 hrs

0.2 FTE

15.2 hrs

0.4 FTE

19 hours

0.5 FTE

22.8 Hrs

0.6 FTE

30.4 Hrs 

0.8 FTE

38 Hrs

1.0 FTE

If you hold registration in two divisions, you can use any combination of your days teaching in schools and/or early childhood services divisions to reach your 20 days for renewal of registration.