Applying for Permission to Teach

If you hold permission to teach (PTT), then you are not registered as a qualified teacher.

Holding PTT means you have been offered short-term employment to undertake the duties of a teacher in delivering and / or assessing student participation in the school’s curriculum program. 

We are pleased to advise that the Minister for Education has approved a revised 2017 Permission to Teach (PTT) policy PDF, 351.25 KB.

This policy comes into effect from 1 October 2017 and replaces the 2011 Permission to Teach policy. Information specific to the new 2017 Permission to Teach policy can be viewed here.

Applications for PTT made prior to 1 October 2017 will be processed in accordance with the 2011 policy PDF, 95.45 KB.

Who should apply for PTT

You can complete an application for PTT when

  • you are being engaged for the delivery and / or assessment of student participation in an educational program
  • the program is part of a curriculum that is
    • Authorised by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority – e.g. Victorian Curriculum F-10, Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL);
    • authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organisation; or
    • in a non-government school, satisfies the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) requirements and is approved as the educational program of the school by the school’s governing body
  • the program is part of the required curriculum for students in that school
  • you are being employed because of your skills and experience in a particular subject or discipline and are required to deliver and / or assess student participation based on your specific skills and experience


  • the program is to be conducted at the school.

If you wish to apply for PTT, you will need to provide us with an endorsement from the school that wants to employ you. 

You may not need PTT

You generally do not need to hold PTT if

  • you are involved in the delivery of an extra-curricular or co-curricular activity;
  • you provide supplementary instruction or a support program outside of the required curriculum or education program; or
  • you are undertaking the following roles
    • Special needs support officer
    • Chaplain or faith community leader
    • Guidance officer
    • Career counsellor
    • Sports coach
      Integration aide.

If you are uncertain of the requirement to hold PTT in your role, please contact VIT.

PTT as a casual relief teacher

If you hold permission to teach as a casual relief teacher (PTT-CRT), you may work as a casual relief or emergency teacher in one or more schools.

The 2017 Permission To Teach policy does not include this category of permission to teach, and any new applications will not be granted PTT-CRT after 01/10/2017.

If you currently hold PTT-CRT with an expiry date prior to 30/09/2020, you may apply for a final grant of PTT-CRT while you complete a fourth year of higher education study.

Your application for PTT-CRT will require an endorsement from the school who wishes to employ you and a completed application form.

We are able to grant you registration as PTT-CRT for a maximum of three years or up until 30/09/2020, after which the registration will expire.

To apply for PTT-CRT, you will need to submit a permission to teach form (PDF, 1261.59 KB).

Upgrading your three-year teaching qualification

There are six basic pathways which can lead you to be conferred with four-year qualified status in Victoria. 

Read more about upgrading to a four-year qualified status.