Skip to main content

The VIT has compiled definitions for our most frequently used terms, government departments and regulatory bodies. If you are unable to find a specific term in this list, please contact us.


Overseas criminal record check (CRC)

If you were over the age of 18 and have continuously resided in any country other than Australia for 12 months within the last 10 years, you will need to provide a certified copy of a police certificate issued by the national police service in the country you lived in.

You have resided continuously in a country if you have held a primary address in the country for a period of more than 12 months, even if you have taken holidays in a different country during this period. For example, if you

  • lived in the United Kingdom between 01/02/2020 and 02/03/2021
  • travelled to France for a period of 1 month maintained your address in the United Kingdom during this time you will be required to provide an overseas CRC from the United Kingdom.

An overseas CRC must cover the full period that you resided there.

If you currently reside overseas, the overseas CRC must be issued within 7 days of your application being submitted (e.g. if your application is submitted on 31 August, the CRC must be issued no earlier than 24 August).

If you have obtained an Australian permanent residency visa or citizenship since residing overseas, you will be exempt from providing an overseas CRC.