Skip to main content

The VIT has compiled definitions for our most frequently used terms, government departments and regulatory bodies. If you are unable to find a specific term in this list, please contact us.


University lecturer

A lecturer refers to a post-secondary teacher who teaches in a college or university. They can teach both undergraduate and post-graduate students. Unlike professors, they do not need a Master’s or Ph.D. to teach. What they bring to the table, however, is their working experience in the field which gives them the qualifications to teach a certain course.

You do not require VIT registration to teach in a university, TAFE or tertiary education setting.

Teachers and ECTs providing university lecturing may only use this experience as professional practice if it is in support of other teachers, i.e. lecturers from Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programs.