Resources and support for principals
All teachers who are employed or engaged as a teacher in a Victorian school must be registered with VIT.
To assist you with any queries about teacher registration, please email us. Alternatively, we provide a dedicated Principals hotline - 1300 650 375 - which operates Monday to Friday from 8am-5pm.
The School Portal
The School Portal is a secure online facility which enables Victorian school principals and their authorised delegates to:
- confirm the current registration status of teachers’ employed at their school
- have edit-access for searching, adding or removing teachers to maintain their ‘All Teachers’ list
- seek the current registration status of a teacher they may wish to employ
- access and complete a recommendation for (full) registration assigned to their school by a provisionally registered teacher
- view any correspondence from us.
Learn more about how to access and use the School Portal.
Principal Circular - email communication with schools
We regularly email school principals important information about teacher registration via Principal Circulars.
Please notify us if your school’s email or postal address has changed.
Read previous editions of the Principal Circulars here.
Seeking permission to teach to fill teaching vacancies
Under special circumstances, if you are unable to employ a registered teacher, you may be able to seek permission to teach (PTT) to fill a teaching vacancy.
- PTT application form. (PDF, 1780.01 KB)
Checking a teacher's registration status
You can check whether a teacher is currently registered to teach and what type of registration they hold by:
- accessing the register of teachers
- viewing your ‘All Teachers’ list within the Portal (for teachers linked to your education setting)
- asking to see the teacher's current VIT registration card (valid to the expiry date indicated on the card).
Working with Children Check – important information for employers
A teacher registered with us will hold a current National Police History Check (NPHC). The NPHC exempts teachers from also having to acquire a Working with Children Check (WWCC).
Assisting a provisionally registered teacher (PRT) to gain (full) registration
The following documents contain information about how you can assist a provisionally registered teacher gain (full) registration: