Registering as an early childhood teacher

If you are employed as an early childhood teacher (ECT) in a Victorian education and care service or children’s service, you will need to be registered.

Once you have registered with us, your name will appear on the register of teachers.

If you are an educator or staff member employed in an education and care service or children's service, and don’t hold an approved early childhood teaching qualification, you won't be required to register with us.

If you are registering for the first time

Once you have completed your initial teacher education (ITE) qualifications, you can set up your MyVIT account and commence an online application.

MyVIT allows for self-service and is intuitive to your specific registration needs. To apply for registration, you will be required to complete some or all modules listed below (depending on your circumstances).

If there are any issues with your application, we will get in touch with you using the contact details you have provided.

Watch a 'how to register' video

Registering as a new graduate


To be registered as an early childhood teacher, you will need to hold a qualification approved or recognised by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA).

Proving your identity and suitability to teach

You will be required to provide evidence that proves your identity as well as give consent so VIT can undertake a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check on your behalf. We may carry out other criminal record checks from time to time.  

Declaring physical and / or mental health conditions

You need to declare any condition(s) that will affect your ability to undertake the duties of a teacher.

A condition may be ongoing or temporary, but conditions such as broken bones do not need to be declared.

If you are suffering from substance abuse and/or dependence, you will need to declare this with us. When you declare a condition, we will ask you to submit a statement that outlines your condition.

Depending upon the nature of the condition and the information you provide in your statement, we may require the submission of a medical report.

show more

Overseas criminal record check (CRC)

If you were over the age of 18 and lived continuously in any country other than Australia for 12 months within the last 10 years, you will need to provide a certified copy of a police certificate issued by the national police service in the country you lived in.

Read more about obtaining a police certificate from a list of overseas countries.

You will be asked

  • dates resided overseas
  • country(ies) resided
  • whether you have obtained an Australian permanent residency visa or citizenship since residing overseas. You will need to upload evidence of this.

If an overseas criminal record check is required, you will need to upload a copy of this. Please refer to Department of Home Affairs for accepted overseas CRCs from every country you lived in.

An overseas CRC must cover the full period that you resided there.

If you currently reside overseas, the overseas CRC must be issued within 7 days of your application being submitted (e.g. if your application is submitted on 31 August, the CRC must be issued no earlier than 24 August).

If you have obtained an Australian permanent residency visa or citizenship since residing overseas, you will be exempt from providing an overseas CRC.

show more

If you currently hold registration with us

You can apply for a second registration as a teacher or an ECT by accessing the relevant registration application in your MyVIT account.

You will need to provide evidence of approved qualifications. If these qualifications are the same as those you used to apply for your current teacher registration, then you will not have to provide evidence of your qualifications.

Keep these in mind before your start an application

  • you must hold a current and satisfactory National Police History Check
  • you will have to make some further declarations about your continuing suitability to be a teacher
  • you will be required to make a payment for your registration by credit or debit card.

show more

Providing an English language test

You do not need to provide any further evidence of your English language competence if you have completed four years (full-time) of higher-education studies, including one year of teacher education study in one of these countries: Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, UK or Ireland.

If you do not meet these requirements and have completed your higher education studies in any other country, you will need to provide a copy of an approved English language competency test.

For example

  • If you completed an undergraduate teacher education qualification in Singapore, you will be required to provide evidence of your English language competence.
  • If you completed an undergraduate degree (in a study other than teacher education) in France and then completed a postgraduate teacher education qualification in Australia, you will be required to provide evidence of your English language competence.

show more

Learn more about approved English language tests and accredited testing centres.

Learn more about ECT registration

We update early childhood providers with regular circulars by email. While these are tailored specifically towards early childhood providers, interested early childhood teachers are also encouraged to read the content.

If you are unable to find the information you need about ECT registration on our web pages, we have a phone line dedicated to ECT registration inquiries.

Call 1300 977 263 and speak to one of our highly trained customer service officers.

Do you have a question?

Read our FAQs.

Choose from our ‘how to’ video library.