Moving to (full) registration

To move from provisional to (full) registration, you need to

  • have taught for a total of at least 80 days in one or more Australian or New Zealand schools or early childhood (EC) services; and
  • provide evidence that you have met the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) at the Proficient Teacher level using the inquiry approach.


Download a poster PDF, 892.07 KB designed to guide you through the process.    

The inquiry approach 

The inquiry approach is used to gather evidence that you have developed your knowledge and practice to meet the Australian Professional Standards for teachers at the Proficient level. 

Learn more about the inquiry approach

The recommendation process

Once your evidence has been gathered, you'll need to present this evidence to a recommendation panel. The panel assesses your documented evidence of practice and makes a determination whether you have met the standards and their descriptors at the Proficient Teacher level. The panel chair then completes a recommendation report.

Learn more about the recommendation process.

Mentors supporting provisionally registered teachers

VIT recommends a registered teacher who has participated in the Effective Mentoring Program (EMP), or other VIT mentor training, act as a mentor for a provisionally registered teacher. If a VIT trained mentor is unavailable, or an experienced colleague is better suited to support you, you may work with an experienced colleague e.g. team leader, year-level coordinator, learning leaders etc. There should always be a VIT trained mentor on your workplace panel. Please refer to The Work Place Recommendation Panel guidelines.

Access information and resources for mentors.

Connecting with a mentor as an Early Childhood Teacher

As a provisionally registered early childhood teacher, you may find the following suggestions helpful in connecting with a mentor:

  • if your service is an Early Years Management (EYM) organisation, the EYM manager may be able to determine if there is a potential mentor at a nearby service.
  • if you are a member of an early childhood professional associations, you may contact them to find out if they are able to assist. Alternatively, you may consider joining one.
  • use your professional network or alumni contacts
  • consider networking opportunities such as conferences and professional development (your local government may also hold network events for early childhood services)
  • consider becoming a member of relevant early childhood social media pages
  • if your service is coordinated by local government, the relevant officer at the local government office may be able to determine if there is a potential mentor at a nearby service
  • if your employer operates multiple services, your area manager or equivalent may be able to point you to an experienced teacher from another service
  • if your service is connected to a primary school, ask if you can be connected with an experienced teacher or mentor in the school
  • ask a local primary school to assist you in connecting with an experienced primary school teacher to act as your mentor

The Department of Education and Training also operates a mentor map, which you can use to connect with local mentors in your area.

If you have any questions relating to the mentor map, or to add your service details to the interactive mentor map, contact DET’s early childhood mentoring team at

show more

Seminar information 

Access a range of information and additional resources to help you better understand the process.


Read guide

Watch videos

We break down the process of moving from PRT to (full) registration. 

You can also watch a teacher with over 30 years’ experience answer FAQs.