As part of the process of moving to (full) registration, a provisionally registered teacher (PRT) needs to present the evidence they've collected to a recommendation panel in their school or early childhood (EC) service.
The panel then assesses their evidence of practice, and makes a determination whether the PRT has met the 37 descriptors of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) at Proficient Teacher level and undertaken the VIT Inquiry process.
The principal / panel chair will then complete a recommendation for registration.
The application process: step-by-step
Step 1Gather evidence of professional practice
Refer to the checklist (page 26) in the Supporting PRT’s Guide PDF, 3534.71 KB to ensure you have the required evidence of professional practice.
Step 2Arrange for a panel to assess your evidence
Ensure you have given prior notice and arranged for a panel to be convened to assess your evidence. Your mentor may be able to assist you do this. Organise a time for the meeting, ensuring this is convenient for all members. The meeting should take about 30–45 minutes. In some circumstances, you may be assigned a time for your meeting by your educational leader or principal.
Step 3Provide your evidence and the short guide to referencing the standards
Refer to the short guide to referencing the standards (pages 36 - 38) in the Supporting PRT’s Guide PDF, 3534.71 KB and provide copies of your evidence of professional practice to your panel members, allowing sufficient time for them to consider your evidence prior to the meeting.
Step 4Initiating application for full registration
For VIT registration numbers that begin with a 1,2,3 or 4
Initiate an application through your MyVIT portal and submit the form to the employer’s portal.
- If you are an early childhood teacher and your panel chair is not early childhood registered, they cannot submit / approve your form electronically. You must select ‘Other’ when selecting your EC service from the drop-down list in the portal application.
- If you are an early childhood teacher and your panel chair is early childhood registered, however works at another EC service, they can submit / approve your form electronically by logging into the portal with your EC Manager’s / Director’s approval and provided login details.
For VIT registration numbers that begin with a 6
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a recommendation report and forward it to your recommendation panel prior to your meeting.
Step 5The meeting
The purpose of the meeting with your panel is to provide an opportunity for you to present your evidence of practice and support their assessment of whether you have demonstrated the standards and their descriptors at the Proficient Teacher level. Be prepared to present a brief overview of your evidence, explaining how the evidence has been developed and where you have demonstrated the APST.
The meeting is also an ideal time for you to reflect on your development as a teacher during the time you have gathered your evidence. In the discussion that follows, panel members may ask questions seeking clarification or further information about your evidence.
Step 6Panel consideration of your evidence of professional practice
The aim for the panel is a consensus view of where your evidence meets the standards and their descriptors.
Once you have presented your evidence and answered any questions, your panel members will confer about where your evidence references the Proficient Teacher standards and their descriptors. Using the short guide to referencing the standards PDF, 400.54 KB, they will tick off each descriptor as they work through your evidence.
You should be advised about the outcome of the panel meeting and provided feedback on your evidence and a copy of the recommendation report from the panel.
Step 7Finalising application for teacher registration or early childhood teacher registration
The purpose of the inquiry approach and panel meeting is to provide evidence to VIT that you meet the standards at the Proficient Teacher level, and can move from provisional registration to (full) registration.For VIT registration numbers that begin with a 1,2,3 or 4
1. Following the panel, your principal or educational leader locates your application in their portal under the ‘Applications’ tab. They complete the recommendation report online and submit it back to your portal. A copy of this report needs to be retained as a record.
2. You will access the recommendation report in your portal under the ‘My Applications’ tab. Complete the rest of the application form and submit it to VIT. You will receive a confirmation email to indicate that VIT has received your application.
VIT will process your application as soon as possible. You may be selected to provide your evidence to VIT. If this occurs, your application will not be completed until satisfactory evidence is provided.For VIT registration numbers that begin with a 6
3. After you present evidence that you have met the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers PDF, 382.48 KB, the principal / panel chair will complete the next section of the form and email it to email@example.com. They will also forward you a copy for your records.Audit of applications
When you apply for (full) registration, you are not required to provide evidence of your professional practice. To ensure compliance, VIT randomly selects provisionally registered teachers to provide a copy of their evidence.
If requested, you will be required to provide a copy of your evidence to VIT. Original documents will be accepted by VIT but will not be returned. You should provide all evidence that was used by your panel to make a recommendation.
If you are unable to provide your evidence within the time requested, your application cannot proceed and you will be ineligible for (full) registration.
You will be able to remain provisionally registered until your expiry date
Step 8Granting (full) registration
Where all requirements have been met, you will be granted teacher registration or early childhood teacher registration by VIT. This registration indicates that you have attained the Proficient Teacher level of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. Once your registration is approved, you will be mailed a new registration card with details of your registration status.
The structure of the panel
VIT recommends the below composition for panels.
Early childhood setting
|The principal can assume the role of panel chair.||Any panel member can assume the role of panel chair.|
In some cases, there may need to be variations to the panel composition.
Read more about the workplace recommendation panel PDF, 458.5 KB.